Mechanics Institute - hiring
As a fully restored building the Toongabbie Mechanics’ Institute is the only existing timber two-storey Mechanics’ Institute left in Victoria.
There are few comparable timber Mechanics' Institutes of the size and intactness of Toongabbie. As well as its historical significance, the building is important for its naive architecture, its rarity and intact condition - click here for history
The Committee of Management are currently sourcing more opportunities to expose the grandeur of this old hall with wedding packages part of their future plans.
click here for wedding planning
The Mechanics Institute is located in the centre of town on the picturesque Village Green alongside the federation style Grandstand and in close proximity to the historic St David's Church.
For wedding services
Ceremony or exchanging of vows can be hosted in St David's Church, Grandstand, Mechanics Institute or either one of the recommended rose filled garden settings with wedding reception held in the unique setting of the old hall.
Separate to wedding receptions, the hall is well set up to cater for small and large functions including private and small conferences. A modern and well appointed kitchen compliments the spacious hall area. If planning a function/conference, wedding or party, be sure to consider the unique Toongabbie Mechanics Institute for hire as we can provide the ideal venue to stage Public and Private functions.
2 x function rooms
· hall for large groups. Presently applying for heating approval from Heritage Victoria
· ‘library’ room for smaller groups. This room has reverse cycle heating/cooling
· supper room and kitchen can be hired separately when using outdoor facilities adjoining village green, BBQ and Grandstand for more outdoor social recreational functions including cricket matches (bbq and grandstand area viewed below)
Equipment (purchased with grant funding support from Latrobe City Council with the most recent
· traditional trestle tables available
· traditional hall pew benches x 8
portable foldup tables
x10 (recently purchased with Latrobe City grant funding)
· 100-120 fold up chairs
· 100 outdoor stackable plastic chairs if surrounding village green and grandstand is utilised
· Projection screen
· Electrical leads
· Small table for laptop etc.
· Front entry
· Concrete paths around entire hall
· Back entry access for other function area
· Outside toilet
· Full catering crockery/cutlery
· Commercial dishwasher
· Commercial stove/oven
· Commercial fridge
The exterior of the building can be examined at anytime. The interior of the Toongabbie Mechanics Institute is available for inspection by appointment;
Contacts: 03) 5192 4370 0407 842 757 0407 924 003 for viewing and hiring costs
The committee of the Toongabbie Mechanics Institute would like to sincerely thank the Latrobe City Council for their assistance and ongoing support to improve the functionality of this historical asset.